ginmar

Progress: 4 %
Throne of Jade
Naomi Novik

Gotta love the VA

So for the past ten days my knee has been bugging me,  which is fairly concerning because my knees are two of the few body parts I haven't yet broken.  Or otherwise injured.

On the Army (and ballet) theory that everything is just a strain,  I gritted my teeth for a week,  because if it's not bleeding,  it must be a sprain,  right?  And the whole time,  I'm limping up and down the stairs,  cleaning litter boxes, getting in the middle of projects. Saturday,  though,  it got bad enough that I tried to talk the VA into permitting an ER visit to a hospital that was closer than the VA.  Nope,  none of that.

Yesterday,  I coukdn't walk.  The leg wouldn't support me at all,  so I wound up crawling downstairs to feed the cats.  Then I called 911.

I was at the ER eight hours.  They did X-rays, a sonogram,  but apparently MRIs are only for visiting royalty.  They gave me an ace bandage,  some tylenol,  and some crutches.

Within two hours of arriving home,  as I came back downstairs, something went SNAP in my knee very loudly,  and I woild up screaming in pain for ten minutes.  It took me twenty minutes to cross thirty feet because the whole leg was sickeningly painful----you know,  the kind of pain where you can tell something is wrong.

Back to the ER.

The nurses looked startled when I came back with the paramedics.

This time they gave me an injection,  still no MRI,  and still no diagnosis.  One $50 cab ride later (including a tip for the sweet Somali driver,  who was BEYOND lovely----and liveral) I staggered home in a thigh-high knee brace.

If they fight the ambulance bill,  it's time for tactical nukes.